Ready to scream! Doc is saying TSH of 5.95 is normal. Since when??
Cynic
2003-11-23 17:53:16 UTC
I posted a while back about my rollercoaster TSH levels over the past
few months. I have Hashi's and had been on 50 mcg of levothyroxine
over the summer. In September my TSH had gone way down to 0.02. He had
me cut the dose in half and have thyroid tests drawn in six weeks.
Earlier this month, the TSH came back way up at 5.95 (normal 0.4-5.0).

The doc sent me a card saying this is "normal" and to continue the 25
mcg dose. WTF? In the six weeks after I'd gone down from 50 to 25 mcg
of levo, my TSH went up from 0.02 to 5.95. Obviously it is on a rather
sharp upward trend, and I'm starting to feel like shit again/still.
How high does it have to go before he'll DO anything? (Rhetorical
question.)

I'm SO frustrated with all of this!!!!
sonic_soul
2003-11-23 18:51:24 UTC
this one doc i was seeing would tell me everyting was fine at 5 tsh ..
accept i knew nothing was fine to which he had no further advice.. so
i started seeing this endocrinologist that claims the wants he gets
his patients to about 2 TSH and increased my dosages.. we shall see
what wil conspire :)
Lois
2003-11-23 19:39:11 UTC
The rollercoaster problem is a tougher one to tackle, but as for what TSH
range is "normal," your doctor missed the boat. A TSH level about 3 or even
2 accompanied by hypo symptoms is questionable. See
www.altsupportthyroid.org/tsh/tshmedrefs1.php for a list of medical
references supporting this. At
www.altsupportthyroid.org/tsh/tshmedrefs4.php, we have medical references
showing that the acceptable TSH level is different for people on thyroid
meds.

If you can get your fT4 and fT3 levels, they might help in the argument for
a higher dose, but your TSH level at 5.95 is way over the limit for people
on thyroid meds with hypo symptoms.

Printable versions of the above compilations are available for doctors who
haven't managed to keep up with the latest in med journals about hypo.

Lois

:
Amethyst Ivy
2003-11-23 21:20:24 UTC
Post by Cynic
The doc sent me a card saying this is "normal" and to continue the 25
mcg dose. WTF? In the six weeks after I'd gone down from 50 to 25 mcg
of levo, my TSH went up from 0.02 to 5.95. Obviously it is on a rather
sharp upward trend, and I'm starting to feel like shit again/still.
Mine tends to go up in the winter. Obviously you need more than 25mcg' Too
bad your doctor doesn't think so. With most of us feeling best around 1.0,
5.95 is way too high.
Herman Family
2003-11-24 05:53:19 UTC
That is too much of an upward trend. The new standards call for the tsh to
stay around 2. Your value was just outside normal until the endos woke up
a few years ago.

Michael
5.95 is way too high.
bnd777
2003-12-19 02:47:47 UTC
Post by Cynic
I posted a while back about my rollercoaster TSH levels over the past
few months. I have Hashi's and had been on 50 mcg of levothyroxine
over the summer. In September my TSH had gone way down to 0.02. He had
me cut the dose in half and have thyroid tests drawn in six weeks.
Earlier this month, the TSH came back way up at 5.95 (normal 0.4-5.0).
The doc sent me a card saying this is "normal" and to continue the 25
mcg dose. WTF? In the six weeks after I'd gone down from 50 to 25 mcg
of levo, my TSH went up from 0.02 to 5.95. Obviously it is on a rather
sharp upward trend, and I'm starting to feel like shit again/still.
How high does it have to go before he'll DO anything? (Rhetorical
question.)
I'm SO frustrated with all of this!!!!
You need a doctor who recognises your need to self medicate on your symptoms
......Blood tests are a joke ........you know how you feel ......you need to
learn to adjust your dose to suit the rollercoaster Hashis ride
Arjun Lal
2003-12-19 03:13:34 UTC
IF you find yourself wasting time with any doc, another option is to
self-medicate with thyroid meds. You can start on armour with the lowest
dose being half a grain (30), then moving up the dose 15 every 2 days until
you feel good without hyper side effects. This is the route I went and let
me tell you I feel great and it saved me the headaches of dealing with doc's
here who have no clue how to treat thyroid patients properly. You can order
Armour Thyroid from www.antiaging-systems.com or you can order Armour,
Cytomel, Synthroid from www.myrxforless.com

Good luck with your recovery.